Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Month 2 - Work is Moving Forward & other interesting experiences



I have been on my mission for two months and it has been an incredible journey. I love the people of Cali. We had 4 baptisms this past week which was great and more this coming week.  This is my last week with my trainer as he finishes his mission and will go home to Peru next week. So, what's happening when my companion leaves?  I will be splitting an area. What that means is that I'm going to be working in two areas at the same time. I'm going to be really busy. My new companion is going to be from Chile. On the 15th of July I will get another companion and maybe I might move areas I won't know until then. That is what is coming up for me.

You mentioned the World Cup has started well we are very well aware of that because there is not one person who does not watch the games. Every time we go to teach they are watching the games. Holy cow! Colombia goes crazy when their team plays. The streets are filled with yellow, all the stores close and no one is outside during the game and after the game everyone goes crazy. I was walking on the street when the game started and Colombia made a goal in like the first 5 minutes ha-ha and when that happened Colombia lit up. Everyone was screaming and right behind my back I started hearing gun shots. It scared me half to death but that's what they do when they score goals. It was intense and then everyone after goes in the streets and throws flour and eggs on people so we had to be really careful and watch out to make sure that they would not get us and we lucked out but the other missionaries not so much. I felt bad for them but it was crazy how much pride Colombians have for their country. I can barely imagine if they made it to the finals. I won't leave the house ha-ha.
 
Something crazy happened today, for P-Day we went to the Centro (downtown) and rode a bus called the MIO and on the way to the Centro the bus ran over a guy on a bike and I saw it with my bare eyes. It was crazy the guy did not see the bus coming and just rode into the street and the bus hit him. I think he was still alive he was kind of moving afterwards and they took him to the hospital. We had to change buses and then we got to the Centro and there we saw like 5 guys beating up one guy because he tried to steal and the police were trying to stop them but they could not and this poor guy got beat up and they were all yelling that's what he gets for stealing. Everyone was running by hitting this guy it was crazy.
 
You asked about my Spanish,  my Spanish still sucks I hate it but still pressing forward.
Oh, something really funny happened during the baptisms. We were singing a hymn and there's a member that does not know how to sing that well (like horrible) but he sings so loud and he does not go with everyone he starts every phrase like 2 seconds early and really loud. I could not help but laugh and another missionary was leading the song on the stand and he was laughing too. He was covering his face with the hymn so the people could not see and everyone was watching him and that made me laugh even more. It was so funny, we were all just cracking up and the members were looking at us like what's going on ha-ha it was too funny!


I'm glad you are going out with the missionaries. With regards to people stating that they've already been baptize and they don't need to be baptized again, we have that problem here a lot. People say they are already baptized but you have to tell them there's only one Christ, one Heavenly Father and he is a God of order which means there's only one church and one baptism like the scripture in the bible in Ephesians. There's only one faith one lord and one baptism and that we have the keys to baptism. One can be baptized 100 times but if it is not the correct baptism then it's not valid and the only way he can know is if he prays and asks. That always works with our investigators. 


This was my week and Happy Fathers Day Dad! I love you and I'll talk to you guys next week.
 
Love,
Elder Gomez 

No comments:

Post a Comment